I am going to be making my own ISP, which for those of you that don't know, an ISP is an Internet Service Provider, the company that gets internet to your house.
This is a rather ambitious goal, but it's definitely something I am really wanting to do.
Basically here's the general idea:
Purchase Internet from a cable company
Send that to an antenna on my roof
Antenna sends signal to clients antenna on their roof
Boom, internet magic
It's rather simple to be quite honest. I am really, in the end, just paying for internet, and then sending that signal through the air to a clients house.
So for those of my fellow tech nerds who are interested in the equipment I am using, it's as follows:
- Ubiquiti LTU Rocket - This is the main radio which is connected to the antenna on my roof.
- Ubiquiti airMAX Sector 5 GHz, 120º, 19 dBi Antenna - As you may be able to guess, this is the antenna I am using. As of right now I only have one antenna, which I will probably get 2 more soon so I have 360 degree coverage.
- Ubiquiti LTU Lite - This is the client antenna and radio, a very small, but powerful and affordable piece of equipment.
- Ubiquiti EdgeRouter4 - This is the router which I am using for the antennas and everything on my end. Nothing too crazy.
- Ubiquiti Universal Antenna Mount - This is the mount which I am using for all of the antenna stuff. Also nothing too crazy.
So yeah, that's the list. Just about everything except the ethernet cables are Ubiquiti. I really do love Ubiquiti simply because of their price and performance, and everything just works well. I also love their UISP software because it literally has like an infinite amount of capabilities and features.
This sums up everything that I plan to do. Hopefully it all works out well. I will also keep updates right here on the blog and on my Twitter.